Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Smoked Trout


The plan was to smoke some Red Snapper in the fashion described to me by a Jamaican guy at work. He runs the same rig I do and I have picked his brains on multiple occasions as I learned how to control my Brinkmann.  Where do you go in the Detroit suburbs to get fish? You go to Superior Fish in Royal Oak. It is a fish market of superior reputation and made famous (to me) by supplying octopi for Detroit Red Wing Playoff games.
MESSAGE FROM DOG STOP WHEN IS FISH STOP

After speaking with my buddy Paul from Glutton for Punishment  (a Florida native), I changed my plan from Red Snapper to Amberjack. Paul suggested an oily fish for a longer smoke. I checked Superior Fish's website and saw the Amberjack was available and started planning.

Well, I went to superior fish at about 11AM on a Saturday. They are open until 1 and closed on Sunday. It was like showing up to a house party at 3AM.
I totally know, brah.

I think there were about 4 fish left.

Well, maybe more than that, but it was slim pickin's. I surveyed the refrigerated cases and ended up selecting about 4 lbs of gorgeous Wild Canadian Lake Trout.

Oily. Firm. A gorgeous yellow flesh. Yeah. I think trout will work out just fine






So what to do with 4 lbs of Wild Canadian Lake Trout and fixin's for a Jamaican Marinade? You just do it.
I do not know this guy.

  • The Trout
  • 3 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
  • 1/4 cup ginger, minced
  • 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
  • 1 habanero, ribbed, seeded and small diced 
  • 2 cups coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup dark rum
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons cane or dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
Mix in a bowl. I opted not to use the scotch bonnet pepper because I am not that @#ing crazy.

I covered the fish with the ginger, garlic and habanero and then mixed the other ingredients with an immersion mixer which ended up looking like this:


 I gave the marinade a couple hours and started getting the coals together to prep the smoker. I cooled the smoker down to a nice 155 and added in the mesquite chips. I could have used apple or alder but I thought the trout could stand up to the mesquite and I had it on hand. I was not disappointed.
Hello, Trout and Mariah

I gave it about three hours on 155 with a steady diet of mesquite chips. I sat back and enjoyed a freshening beer while I waited for the fish to get delicious.

After a few hours, I pulled the fish off the grill to finish in the oven at 220. My goal was to get the internal temp to 145 and I opted not to start over with the chimney. Was this a coward's move? Perhaps- but I stand by my results.




In the mean time, Mariah got the rest of the meal together
Plantains in Michigan? Super.

Mariah got some plantains together to fry up to go with our Carribean Canadian Trout. A little arugula on the side and we almost have a meal. Someone had the bright idea to add the left over marinade to some rice to make a delicious rummy, spicy, rice pudding-ish creation. I think it was my idea, but ideas were flying out fast and furiously and I could be wrong. At any rate, Mariah was the one who knew how to make it.

And she did.


From Mariah:

I'm gonna be honest with you, when it comes to cooking I often throw things together (wiz! bang!) and veer away from the directions as often as possible (kind of like when I would stubbornly color outside of the lines in Kindergarden-ON PURPOSE!).
Most things come out fabulously- but that's cause I have a general idea on what I'm doing. There are a few things, however, that I do follow pretty strictly- and thats only because they would end up in total kitchen failure if I winged it. FAILURE!

Rice is one of those things. Rice needs enough liquid to soak up and soften up- but it also doesn't need to be swimming in it by the time it's ready. So- the general consensus is the ratio 2 parts liquid to 1 part rice. Boil. Simmer about 25-30 minutes or until tender. I always end up throwing more water in towards the end to keep it from sticking from the bottom.

It was Ron's idea to use the rest of the coconut marinade to cook a side dish of rice. MMMMM. 


He's so smart. This rice comes out more "risotto"/ rice pudding than fluffy rice and you will be pleased as pie about it.







Mesquite Smoked Wild Canadian Lake Trout with Fried Plantains, Arugula Salad, and Coconut Milk/Habanero Rice.

This is how we do.








Wait. Fish is where?

No comments:

Post a Comment