Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Beef Heart

Safe as milk...

Beef Heart with Beet and Arugula Grapefruit Salad with Beet Roasted Scallion.
Ruhlman piqued my interest on this.


But on Saturday I was walking through Meijer's (I am house-sitting in  Macomb County....my options are limited) and happened to see a section in the meat cooler that had pig's ears, cow tongue, and cow femur. So I dug through there and found a nice, fat beef heart.  
Presentation is lacking. I agree.

I brined it over night in a simple brine to make it moist and tender and then spent a few minutes trimming it.
                                  
                                                         Basically if it looks weird, gross or inedible, feed it to the dog?





I am Dog. I approve message.


It comes out looking beautiful. It is very lean with no marbling at all.



I ground some  pepper and threw it on the grill for 3 minutes per side and ended up with a pretty nice meal (that was a beet arugula and grapefruit salad on the side with some beet roasted shallots).


Hearty Goodness.
                                           
So the verdict?

Interesting. 

The consistency is excellent. It had a nice resistance to the bite but it is not chewy. The brine helped keep it moist and added some savory flavoring to the meat. The organic flavor of the heart is similar to that of a sirloin but with the beefiness much more pronounced. The more rare parts had a bit of an organ taste to them, but not in an unpleasant way. I cooked this like a steak, and i don't know that I would do that again. It is so lean that when comparing it to steak, it comes up a little lacking.

 I think the next time I am going to marinate with a ginger/soy/brown sugar sauce and do more of an asian thing. Maybe some hoison or something. Anyway, it was very good, very cheap and definitely worth a try if you are feeling adventurous. 

FIN

Addendum:

The leftovers!

Faux-Asian Beef Heart Fajita

I sliced the beef heart and marinated for a day in:

3 table spoons Soy Sauce
2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 inch Minced Ginger
2 cloves Minced Garlic
A healthy splash of Bourbon

Then I threw it on the grill heated to screamin' hot for a couple minutes. I folded them in a tortilla and drizzled on some sriracha.

The heart literally melted, I could barely get it off the grill it was so tender. Just delicious.



2 comments:

  1. They say the heart of rock'n roll is the beet'nnnn, and from what I hear I believe' em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am yet to try this one, but you may be interested in this Peruvian marinated beef heart dish (Anticuchos de Corazon): http://www.rebelspatula.com/index.php/all-recipes/75-grilled-marinated-beef-heart-anticuchos-de-corazon

    ReplyDelete